What I want you to know. Which is everything.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

The Earlies


My brother-in-law, or rather my wife's brother-in-law... My sister-in-law's husband, (and good friend, btw) Brandon Carr is in a band called The Earlies They are big overseas, and I'm not saying that in a "Oh, but we're HUUGE in Japan" kind of way. They really are a well known group that has received some incredible reviews by some of the U.K.'s nation music publications. I was even amazed the first time I was able to find them on iTunes.

Anyway, they were just written up in an article from The Dallas Observer, a local arts mag in Dallas, because they are releasing their first album, These Were the Earlies in the U.S., finally. I won't bore you with their story since you can read it at the link provided in this paragraph, but I will tell you that the music they make is very good. It's artsy, but not unmanageable, edgy, but not raucous, beautiful, but not cheesy, and relatable, but not obnoxious. I would even go as far to say that certain tracks could be radio hits. Maybe not on today's homogeneous, corporation dominated radio waves, but perhaps when (if?) that pendulum ever swings back the other way. But even if they aren't the "next pop prophet" they certainly have a grand amount of potential and momentum behind them with top billing at various music festivals, including South By Southwest, enough to make them an underground college radio sensation, which would probably suit them just fine based on what I know about Brandon's taste and snobbery when it comes to music (I mean that in a good way).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. I was(am) friends with Jason Harper who would oft speak of Brandon and the Earlies. I think he had sent some links, but I never gave them a listen. I will pay attention this time around and make up for the sins of my past.

-The Mad C

Jason said...

I'm still waiting for the Earlies to be on XM Radio. I'm surprised they aren't XM Radio channels like U-POP (XM29 -- international chart-toppers) or XMU (XM43 -- indie and college-style radio). I'll check them out on iTunes, though.

marcus said...

i had heard that brandon had met with some success in the uk but didn't know of the band's name. i think i heard about it from micah hinson. i bought his cd a few months ago and really dug it. i'll definitely have to buy the earlies album on itunes though.