What I want you to know. Which is everything.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Oh, Yeah, This Goofball Makes Movies


Mission: Impossible III

While I was resistant to seeing Mission: Impossible III because I thought the last one lacked any kind of heart or interest in the least, I also dislike being the only person who hasn't seen a movie. Everytime I wait for too long to see a movie I over hear so many people talking about it that I lose any interest to see the movie. So, my brother and wife had the idea of seeing a movie and the only thing that appealed to any of us was M:I-III. I have been avoiding action movies as of late based on the the tendency for action movies to rely on a lot of stuff blowing and up and the use of cool gadgets and catch phrases to get audiences to say "Oooh!" and "Aaah!" Despite this many movie critics that I respect have been touting it's credibility and reliability on the character and motivations thereof. For instance, instead of a random love interest for Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) that may or may not be based on a previous relationship, the movie begins with the knowledge that Hunt has a fiance/wife. Okay, so now that we know that Hunt has a motivation that we can get on board with (save his new wife) now we can start to blow stuff up. Lucky, we forgo any cheesy catch phrases that might detract from any logical sane viewers enjoyment of the dialogue, and the gadgets in the movie are pretty cool. At the end of the day though, it was exactly what I expected it to be. It was flashy, expensive and at times hard to follow because of all the camera movement. The plot was based entirely on this non-discript "rabbit's foot" which we can only assume is a nuclear devise with the purpose of global domination. They never really explain because it's inconsequential. What's important is that the bad guy wants it and it's Ethan Hunt's job to make sure he doesn't get it. The bad guy in question being the amazing Phillip Seymor Hoffman. In my favorite part of the movie Ethan's character dons a disguise to make him look like the bad guy. The transformation that took place right in front of the camera was stunning enough but then the audience is given the pleasure of of watching Hoffman pull off a superb version of Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt. This alone made the ticket price worth it. Granted, I went to the Hollywood movie theater on Beltway 8 and Pasadena Blvd. where the tickets are $3.00.

All in all, most people will love this movie, and I liked it. It had been awhile since I made it out to a shoot 'em up picture and it may be awhile until my next one. I've had my fill.

3 Bulls

No comments: